Thursday, January 19, 2012

Welcome to my blog, Who Plants a Seed...!  I am glad you are here and hope you find my pictures, tips, advice, and musings about gardening to be helpful, entertaining, and inspiring for your own at-home horticultural pursuits!

The name for my blog comes from a hand-carved wooden sign that has been in my grandparents' house for longer than I can remember.  It reads, "Who plants a seed beneath the sod and waits to see believes in God."  One of the most simple yet beautiful and true statements I have ever known.  Many of my "gardening genes" definitely come from my grandparents.  As a home gardening blog, Who Plants a Seed... could not have a better name.








I have been gardening for my entire life:  it's just that simple.  I cannot remember a spring, summer, or fall season in which I wasn't out in the yard digging, planting, watering, weeding, pruning, admiring, and enjoying.  After 20 years, it is simply a part of who am I--it is certainly my main hobby (and definitely the main drain on my wallet!) so I hope some of my experiences and opinions can be of help to you in one way, shape, or form.  I am primarily a flower gardener but allocate some good time to fruits and veggies also (can you say home-grown tomatoes, strawberries, and peppers; what would summer be without them?).  My family and I grow a great variety of flowers including several varieties of roses, purple coneflowers, daisies, lilies and daylilies, astilbe, hostas, a number of ornamental grasses, rudbeckia, peonies, daffodils, tulips, iris, columbine, goldenrod, liatris, spirea, monarda, viburnum, lilac, tradescantia, loosestrife, chrysanthemums, New England asters, a multitude of annuals (but especially marigolds, impatiens, geraniums, and petunias), liriope, cannas, and my personal pride and joy--over 30 hydrangea shrubs encompassing dozens of cultivars across four different species.  I plan to focus a good deal of this blog towards chronicling my ever-growing hydrangea collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment